Talk on Care at the End of Life
2023 course run completed
Talk on Care at the End of Life aims to help participants to:
- Recognize and effectively manage common symptoms experienced by patients in their last hours
- Describe at a basic level the psychosocial and spiritual needs of terminally ill patients, and employ appropriate interventions to address these needs
- Discuss the unique needs and challenges of communication at the end-of-life, and utilize effective strategies to facilitate compassionate and meaningful interactions
- Identify the needs and challenges of communications at the end-of-life
- Recognize the role of the nurse in relation to the patient and caregivers in the dying phase
Please see the brochure here.
The following topics will be covered:
- Understanding Death Attitudes in Singapore
- Common Signs and Symptoms in the Final Hours
- Management of the Symptoms in the Final Hours
- Role of the Nurse in End-of-Life Care
- Basic Communications
Registered Nurses, Enrolled Nurses, Support Care Staff
Ms Sylvia Lee Ling Ling
Advanced Practice Nurse, Dover Park Hospice (Home Care)
Post-Master’s Adv Cert in Palliative Care (USA), MN & BN (Syd),
Palliative Care NP (NY), Registered Nurse
Sylvia is the first Palliative Care Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) in Singapore. She began her journey as a Palliative Care nurse since 1999, after completing her Master of Nursing (Clinical Practice – Gerontology) at the University of Sydney, Australia. In mid-2006, she completed her Post-Master’s Advanced Certificate: Advanced Practice Nursing in Palliative Care at New York University, USA. She obtained her license to practise as Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner in New York State & being accredited by US National Board for Certification of Hospice & Palliative Nurses to practise as Advanced Certified Hospice & Palliative Nurse (2006-2010).
Sylvia is currently an Advanced Practice Nurse (Palliative Care) with the Home Care and Programme Dignity team (integrated palliative home care services) at Dover Park Hospice.
Sylvia is also a certified End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium – International (ELNEC) trainer. She is actively involved in providing Palliative Care Nursing training to nurses from various care settings at basic and advanced practice level.
In 2009, Sylvia was awarded the prestigious ‘President’s Award for Nurses’, and in 2004, she received the inaugural ‘Healthcare Humanity Award’, in recognition of her contributions to palliative care nursing.
Course fees before subsidy: SGD 181.44 per person (including GST)
*Prevailing course fee subsidy for staff working in eligible Community Care organisations:
- Singaporean/PR: $18.14 (90% subsidy)
- Work Pass Holder: $99.79 (45% subsidy)
Date: 22 Aug 2023
Time: 1pm – 5.30pm
Venue: Zoom online platform
For enquiries, please email to email@example.com.