Introduction to Palliative Care for NAs/ENs
This 9 half-days course aims to increase participants’ confidence and competence in caring for patients with life-limiting conditions.
Please see the brochure here.
The following topics will be covered:
- An overview of palliative care perspectives
- Communication skills for formation of therapeutic relationship with patients and families
- Basic understanding of the end phase of common cancers and non-cancer conditions
- Basic understanding of emergencies in palliative care
- Dementia & caregiver support
- Recognition of final hours
- Decision making at end of life
- Revisiting of clinical skills, contextualized for palliative care
- Basic assessment and management of symptoms, signs and psychosocial issues encountered at end-of-life
- Recognition of self-care needs and importance of team support
- Rehabilitation in palliative care
Enrolled Nurses and Nursing Aides working in nursing homes, hospices or community hospitals who care for patients with life-limiting conditions.
Lead trainer: Ms Sylvia Lee Ling Ling
Ms Sylvia Lee is the first Palliative Care Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) in Singapore. She began her journey as a Palliative Care nurse since 1999, after completing her Master of Nursing (Clinical Practice – Gerontology) at the University of Sydney, Australia.
In mid-2006, she completed her Post-Master’s Advanced Certificate: Advanced Practice Nursing in Palliative Care at New York University, USA. She obtained her license to practice as a Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner in New York State and was accredited by US National Board Certification of Hospice & Palliative Nurses to practice as an Advanced Certified Hospice & Palliative Nurse (2006-2010).
Sylvia is currently an Advanced Practice Nurse (Palliative Care) with the Home Care and Programme Dignity team (integrated palliative home care services) at Dover Park Hospice.
Course fees before subsidy: $775.75 per person (including GST)
*Prevailing course fee subsidy for staff working in eligible Community Care organisations:
90% for Singaporean/PR and 45% for non-Singaporean/PR.
*Organisations will be billed the amount after subsidy.
Dates: Sep to Nov 2023 (exact dates TBC)
Time: 1pm to 5pm
Venue: Online Zoom platform
Registration opens in Jul 2023. For enquiries, please email to email@example.com.