Palliative Care in Advanced Non-cancer Conditions
As our population ages, more people will be developing chronic medical conditions which will progress and eventually lead to death. The challenges of managing a patient with advanced non-cancer conditions can be fairly different from caring for someone who is suffering from advanced cancer. The 2-day course will highlight these challenges and focus on palliative care approaches to help healthcare professionals manage non-cancer end-of-life care better.
For more information, please refer to the course brochure.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Appreciate the challenges faced in caring for patients with advanced non-cancer conditions.
- Understand the commonly encountered symptoms in end-stage organ failure and neurodegenerative diseases and ways to manage these symptoms effectively.
- Understand the common ventilatory support that is available to patients with respiratory failure.
- Appreciate the role of advance care planning in progressive, non-cancer illnesses.
- Know what local community resources are available to support these patients and their families.
Doctors and registered nurses who care for patients with advanced chronic illnesses in the acute, intermediate or long-term care settings.
Associate Professor Wu Huei Yaw
Dr Wu Huei Yaw is a senior consultant with the Department of Palliative Medicine in Tan Tock Seng Hospital.
He has a special interest in non-cancer palliative care and was actively involved in the development and clinical support of the first home palliative care programme for organ failure patients in Singapore.
He is now the clinical lead of Programme IMPACT, an MOH-funded home palliative care service for non-cancer patients at the end of life.
Course fees before subsidy: $428.00 per person (including GST)
*Prevailing course fee subsidy for staff working in eligible Community Care organisations:
90% for Singaporean/PR and 45% for non-Singaporean/PR.
*Organisations will be billed the amount after subsidy.
Dates: 24 and 25 October 2019
Time: 9am – 5pm
Please register via AIC ILTC-LMS. Registration closing date is 30 September 2019.
For those without access to AIC LMS, please complete the course registration form and send to email@example.com.
For any enquiries, please contact:
Toh Yan Hua
Executive, NHG College
6340 2355 / firstname.lastname@example.org.